This module was developed as part of the California Department of Education/Child Development Division School-Age Training Project and was revised in 2017 to incorporate specific language, examples and tips for summer and year-round learning programs.
During this module presentation, participants develop an understanding of California State Standards and how to integrate them into a balanced out-of-school time program.
In this training participants will:
- Understand the importance of integrating the California State Standards into academic and enrichment activities.
- Learn strategies for planning activities in a balanced program that reinforce standards in fun and engaging ways.
Opening Activity - "Common Associations"
Cracking the Standards Open
Participants will develop an understanding of the standards and how they stretch across grade levels, identify objectives within the standard, the difference between standard-specific and standards-based and the importance of balancing in the afterschool program for children/youth.
Planning Balanced Programs
Participants will have an opportunity to plan a Theme Web, including as many standards from math, language arts, science, and social studies/ history as possible. Participants will share their Theme Webs with the other groups..
Participants will select a specific science, math, reading, or social studies/history standard and create and activity that is both fun and engaging for young people to practice the standard.
Training Length: 2 hours
It is essential that skills presented during the instructional day are reinforced by the learning opportunities presented in out-of-school time programs. Presenting materials in alternative learning formats encourages children and youth to participate, and it is through this participation that programs help promote mastery.
Understanding how the Content Standards are organized and written is important so that programs can integrate them into their programming.
This allows programs to:
Be intentional about incorporating academic activities
Highlight the value of the program to teachers, parents, and funders
Support children and youth in the mastery of specific skills or knowledge
By the end of this module, participants will:
- Understand what the California Content Standards are and how to access them.
- Learn about the Common Core Standards for English Language Arts and Mathematics.
- Understand the importance of integrating the Standards into academic and enrichment activities.
- Learn strategies for planning activities in a balanced program that reinforce the standards in fun and engaging ways.