For the 2018 year, the Leadership Development Institute (LDI) 360°/365 seeks organizations dedicated to the development of social-emotional learning and character building to commit a team of 3-5 staff to participate in the yearlong, cohort-based program for emerging leaders in afterschool and expanded learning. Using an equity-centered leadership framework and modeled after our existing fellowship, LDI for Emerging Leaders of Color, LDI 360°/365 will equip professionals with skills in management and leadership to effectively lead high-quality programs that build the character of staff and young people.
The program's focus on emotional-intelligence and equity-centered practices helps fellows integrate character building approaches into their organizations, from the program and policies created to interpersonal interactions with colleagues, families, youth and stakeholders. Participating fellows should demonstrate an aspiration for advanced leadership in their organizations and the field.
Download an application preview for more information about the project, commitment and application instructions.
+ Important Fellowship Dates
- Intake Call: Complete an intake call with CalSAC staff to determine eligibility. If minimum eligibility is determined, CalSAC will invite organizations to submit an application packet by December 8, 2017.
- LDI 360°/365 Opening Retreat: To be held January 25-27, 2017 in the San Francisco Bay Area (3 full-days to set the foundation for the fellowship and build the cohort community)
LDI 360°/365 Leader Circles (full-day cohort gatherings, TBD locations alternate geographically):
- Friday, February 16, 2018
- Friday, March 16, 2018
- Friday, April 13, 2018
- Monday, May 14 – Tuesday, May 15, 2018 (Sacramento, CA)
- Friday, June 8, 2018
- Friday, July 13, 2018
- Friday, August 10, 2018
- Friday, September 14, 2018
- Friday, October 12, 2018
- Friday, November 9, 2018
- LDI 360°/365 Closing Retreat: To be held December 5-6, 2018 or December 6-7, 2018 in the San Francisco Bay Area
16 days total at approximately 8 hours per day = approximately 128 hours total. Travel provided; lodging for multi-day events provided.
Fellows commit to:
- Fully participating in all fellowship dates stated above.
- Completing periodic assignments to ground learnings from the Leader Circles in work and life.
- Actively working to set and achieve individual and organizational project and learning goals, and periodically reporting updates to CalSAC.
- Investing time and effort to a diverse peer learning community by actively contributing knowledge, skills and insights.
- Contributing to a safe and trusting learning environment for self and peers by respecting and honoring the need for confidentiality and differences of opinion, learning style, ethnicity, gender, age, etc.
Organization (including all direct supervisors of each fellow) commits to:
- Supporting attendance of each fellow at all fellowship dates stated above.
- Supporting application of learning and providing adequate time and information for completion of assignments.
- Supporting progress toward development and achievement of goals – including personal, interpersonal and organizational goals – set by individuals and staff team.
- Investing effort in reinforcing the knowledge, skills and insights learned; for example, providing opportunities for knowledge sharing with colleagues, implementing new strategies, etc.
- Providing safe space for participating staff to reflect and grow, honoring the need for confidentiality and differences of opinion, learning style, ethnicity, gender, age, etc.
Fellows and organizations commit to:
- Providing baseline, mid-point, and post-fellowship data on self, and completing an assessment at the end of the program.
- Participating in roughly two interviews during the program for the purposes of assessing progress toward meeting fellows’ goals and CalSAC’s impact.
- Permitting CalSAC to use photos (headshot and candid), videos, and quotes regarding experiences and program participation on the CalSAC website and marketing materials.
- Must currently have the capacity to support participation of 3-5 staff.
- Must be a California-based organization/district/agency in the expanded learning field.
- Must select and pre-approve 3-5 staff to apply.
- Must be selected and invited to apply by their organization.
- Must identify as an emerging leader.
- Must be a site coordinator (oversee a program at one site and is responsible for supervision of frontline staff).
- Have an aspiration for advanced leadership in their organization and the out-of-school time field.
- Strong candidates will have demonstrated some exposure to being a supervisor, working with budgets and strategic planning and programming.
- Have at least 2 years of experience working with a school-age child care, afterschool program, summer enrichment program or in governmental agencies or foundations that work with out-of-school time issues.
- Must be available to attend all cohort gatherings.
If accepted, organizations are required to submit a Fellowship Commitment Form, signed by each fellow and their supervisor, and a one-time program participation fee based on the size of the organization’s operating budget:
- Less than $499,999 - $2,500 program fee
- $500,000 to $999,999 - $3,500 program fee
- $1,000,000 to $3,999,999 - $4,500 program fee
- Over $4,000,000 - $5,500 program fee
Fellowships are valued at $6,000 per fellow, and costs are highly subsidized thanks to the generous support of the S.D. Bechtel, Jr. Foundation. Scholarships may be available based on need.
+ Application Instructions
Organizations must complete an intake call with CalSAC to discuss eligibility. If minimum eligibility is determined, CalSAC will invite organizations to apply by submitting the following by December 8, 2017:
- One (1) organization application providing background information about the organization and its desired outcomes for participation as well as names of the 3-5 staff that will apply on behalf of the organization.
- Three to five (3-5) applications of staff to be completed and submitted individually.