County: Los Angeles
Agency: Hands4Hope LA
Hands for Hope (Hands4Hope LA) is a non-profit organization that provides support to at-risk youth ages 8 to 18 from low-income, predominantly minority households to improve their quality through free S.T.E.A.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) based after-school programs, low-cost Academic Summer Camp and semi-annual single parent resource fairs.
Afterschool programs provide academic support and enrichment activities for children. These programs are generally managed by Program Directors. The program director works with program staff to develop an appropriate curriculum and plan activities that are consistent with the mission of the program. Afterschool programs teach children skills, assist them with developing interpersonal skills and help them improve their academic performances. Directors develop the structure of the program based upon the needs and interests of the students and their parents, manage the program staff and operations, and maintain relationships with the community.
The primary responsibility of the Program Director is to monitor and supervise the safety and well being of all students and instructors on site, while supporting the overall progress and implementation of the program. The program Director is also responsible for overseeing the delivery of a broad range of programs in our curriculum, including tutoring, social recreation, physical education, and nutritional preparation at our site. They provide support to the Executive Director towards planning, developing and implementing youth development programs, as well as administrative duties as needed.
Recruit, Retain, and Engage students
* Plan, oversee and conduct program curriculum/activities, policies, and procedures
* Maintain Safety and Compliance and Crisis Management Plan
* Event planning: Annual Single Parent Resource Fair, Annual HopeWalk & Kids Healthy Activity Fair and Workshops, End of Year Showcase, etc.
* Assist in the annual budget and operating plan to support all programming
* Knowledge of H4H’s activities, calendars events
* Maintain inventory and control of equipment and supplies. Ensure supplies, meals and snacks are ordered, purchased, stored and prepped properly
* Report hazards, concerns and dilemmas to the Executive Director
* Implement the vision set forth by the Board of Directors and Executive Director
* Excellent communication with students, parents, staff and stakeholders to gain community support and participation
* Recruit, hire, manage, supervise, train/develop and oversee staff, instructors and volunteers
* Assist with establishing visual and performing arts, health and wellness, STEAM, college prep and career curriculum, lifeskills, and homework assistance programming
* Maintain proper documentation, registration, files, and attendance logs
* Collect and track monthly payments
* Uphold and communicate H4H disciplinary practices & procedures. Explain how we reward the students and that it is a reward based system not a punitive system.
* Keep brochures, daily activities and weekly schedules displayed in allotted space
* Coordinate, plan and schedule field trips, transportation, permission slips and chaperones for special events; attend and drive vehicles as needed
* Establish and implement performance management process for all staff
* Develop and improve rules and policies in response to program needs
* Implement Emergency fire and earthquake drills
* Stepping in as needed to curb behavior issues with the kids
* Appropriately handle incidents and/or behavior issues according to H4H policies
* Act as a resource for staff (giving advice on planning classes, what games to play, how to deal with problems, children, parents or coworkers, etc)
* Planning staff meetings and staff training workshops
* Delegate tasks to among program staff and volunteers
* Speak with potential donors, funders and external parties as requested to solicit funding or support for the program
* Assist with grant writing and researching grants as needed
* Research outreach opportunities and develop outreach materials
* Speak at events and meetings for outreach, volunteer recruitment and donations
* Assist Executive Director with Program Administration and other tasks, perform the duties of the program coordinator and assistants when necessary
* Experience with organization planning and supervising activities within a youth development framework
* Experience with youth ages 8-18 with diverse cultures and backgrounds
* Strong computer skills, Microsoft Office, and database/CRM program an asset
* Good oral and written communication skills
* Demonstrate ability in personnel supervision and facilities management
* Self motivated, detail oriented, energetic, ability to multitask, organize, prioritize, and problem solve
* Establish and maintain positive working relationships
* Strong work ethic, professionalism, customer service, and time management skills
* Community and Public Relations Skills, marketing and/or event related experience, public speaking an asset
* Bachelor's degree in Youth Development or related field
**NOTE: In addition to these duties the Program Director has to be willing and able to do all the duties of the Program Coordinator and the Program Assistant and anything else Hands 4 Hope LA needs.**
Broad knowledge and experience in: Familiarity with diverse learning styles and instruction styles. Experience implementing youth leadership development programming as well familiarity in youth and family resources
Excellent skills in: Time management, organization, planning and project management, and multitasking skills
Demonstrated ability to: Thrive in high energy, fast paced environment strong problem solving skills, flexibility, and initiative.
Demonstrated ability to: Demonstrated ability facilitating small and large group activities. Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with diverse groups of people, individuals, and agencies.
Demonstrated ability to: Commitment to exude culturally diverse programs for youth
Education and Experience:
3 or more years of experience heavily focused on urban youth development, program strategy, education, staff supervision/management
CPR and First Aid Certified
Spanish language proficiency preferred
At least 3 references unrelated to you, whom you have known at least one year
Valid California Driver's’ License and proof of insurance required (Class B preferred)
Physical and Mental Demands:
Administrative work w/walking, standing, lifting and/or carrying a max of 20lbs
Sitting and/or standing with bending and reaching
Talking, seeing, reading, speaking and hearing
Able to work in chaotic and high noise levels
Speech and hearing with clarity sufficient for standard face to face and telephone communications
Sitting and/or standing with bending and reaching
Speaking, seeing, reading, speaking, and hearing
Continual use of hands for typing
Travel within region required; out-of-region required as needed.
A valid California Driver's’ License and proof of insurance required (Class B license preferred)
Preferred: Located within 30 minutes of North Hollywood
Limitations and Disclaimer:
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
Hands4Hope LA is an equal opportunity employer. Background Check Required.