County: San Francisco
Agency: Jewish Community Center of San Francisco (JCCSF)
The Jewish Community Center of San Francisco is the oldest Jewish center on the West Coast, providing educational, social, cultural and fitness programs to the community since 1877. Open to all, with the mission of building and preserving Jewish identity, JCCSF programs and services include ECE and School age programs to Older Adult programs.
The JCCSF is looking for an enthusiastic and motivated individual who is comfortable leading and teaching kids basic chess skills. We are not necessarily looking for chess experts: your enthusiasm about chess, and classroom management skills are more important to us than your chess strength. The chess specialist will be responsible for creating a weekly curriculum for kids ages 6 – 8 consisting of beginning chess principles and advanced play. The chess specialist will be responsible for assisting campers with learning the rules, preparing strategy, and learning tournament play. In addition to the chess curriculum the specialist will also be taking campers outdoors during their breaks and playing camp games, etc.
The Chess specialist will be responsible for creating, organizing, and implementing all aspects of game play.
- Teach chess to beginners and advanced players including the following:
- Names and value of pieces
- Strategy and tactics
- Chess notation
- Plan and organize weekly chess learning activities.
- Create a safe, supportive, stimulating and fun environment for campers.
- Supervise campers.
- Practice personal leadership skills.
- Assist in drop off and pick up of campers.
- Provide excellent customer service to parents by communicating with them about their camper's experience.
- Set clear and consistent limits and resolve behavioral problems with assistance from supervisors.
- Assist with daily set up and clean-up of camp.
- Model appropriate behavior for campers.
- Additional responsibilities as required.
- Experience in instruction, and content creation with youth.
- The knowledge and ability to explain and demonstrate game fundamentals and techniques.
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Knowledge of summer camps.
- Experience working with youths ages 6 – 8.
- Ability to work well both in a team environment and independently.
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, and ability to improvise is a must.
- Must be 21 years or older.
Dates of employment: June 25, 2018 - June 29, 2018 and July 30, 2018 – August 3, 2018
Hours: 8:15am- 12:00 pm
Staff training is June 4, 2018 – June 8, 2018
How To Apply
Click the link below to review the job description and apply online:
Application Deadline: 6/4/2018
Name of Contact: Danielle Patton
Contact email address: firstname.lastname@example.org