County: San Francisco
Agency: New Door Ventures
New Door clients represent a population of under-served youth in San Francisco and the East Bay who live in poverty, are under-educated, have little to no meaningful work experience, and face a myriad of additional obstacles to meeting appropriate developmental outcomes. A typical client profile has a combination of critical risk factors: a background in foster care, justice system involvement, significant substance abuse histories, experience of homelessness, connection with gang activity, and lack of positive adult supports.
New Door has a vibrant team approach and all Youth Development specialists work collaboratively to develop and execute youth programs, provide individual case management and support to youth, and participate in the broader San Francisco youth employment community. New Door emphasizes an outcome-focused approach to youth development, and places high value on the power of relationships to transform the lives of our clients.
Beginning in December 2017, New Door will scale into Alameda Country, offering our youth employment program to at risk youth in Oakland and nearby cities. We’re looking for a Youth Development Specialist to join our East Bay team.
Youth Development Specialists at New Door Ventures provide case management, advocacy, and life & job skills training to youth as they participate in New Door’s programs, with a goal of supporting youth to attach to future employment and education. In addition to this core work, each Youth Development Specialist works on multiple special projects as needed, including workshop curriculum development, outreach & recruitment, and collecting beneficiary feedback.
- Case Management Support (caseload of 8-10)
- Training & Skill Development
- Program Design, Implementation and Evaluation
- Relational Support
- Organizational Support
- External Relationship Management
- Youth-centered Activities Coordination
- Community Outreach
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Minimum of 2 years of experience providing direct services (e.g., workshop facilitation, case management, program development) to disconnected youth populations
- Demonstrated excellence in youth development philosophy, skills and practice
- Experience in a youth employment program preferred
- Willingness to work in a highly-integrated, collaborative, high-functioning team
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with minimal supervision and independently solve problems
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including basic Microsoft proficiency
- Ideal candidates will have a deep understanding of Alameda and/or Contra Costa County, including available youth resources and similar community based organizations
- Enjoys working for an organization that is scaling and can perform most case management and facilitation tasks independently or with little supervision
- Ability to form relationships with East Bay community organizations and knowledge of available resources for our population
- Has demonstrated a proven commitment and desire to work in the East Bay
- A Focus on Impact and Effectiveness — Alignment with organizational mission, values and goals, effective collaboration with others to achieve impact, regularly refocus on results and impact and the ability to focus on important issues only
- Initiative — Identify ways to improve processes/situations, take responsibility for problem solving, set a high standard of work quality and generate original ideas
- Interpersonal Skills — Interact confidently, read situations well, adapt own behavior to suit the situation, the ability to initiate and grow mutually beneficial relationships and manage potentially difficult relationships
- Learning and Decision-Making — able to make sound decisions with good judgment despite incomplete information or limited time, apply learning to new situations and use evidence to learn and support decision-making
Why work with us?
- You’ll be challenged and provided with opportunities to learn and grow professionally through trainings and on the job experiences.
- You get to have a major impact on the lives of young adults in the Bay Area by ensuring they receive the highest quality and most relevant work and life skill experience.
- You’ll work in a stimulating, motivating culture with smart and talented co-workers and with a strong and established leadership team.
- You’ll receive a competitive salary and benefits package, including matching 403(b), tuition reimbursement, commuter benefits and 13 vacation days (increasing with tenure).
Compensation will be in the high $40s annually DOE along with our generous benefits.
How To Apply
Please send your resume AND a thoughtful cover letter letting us know why you think you’d be a great addition to our team. Submissions sent without a cover letter will not be considered. Please include EAST BAY YOUTH DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST in the subject line, and email the resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Candidates from a diversity of backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. New Door Ventures is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Note: Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted.