County: Contra Costa
Agency: City of El Cerrito
Located near the east shore of the San Francisco Bay, the City of El Cerrito is an ethnically diverse community offering a high quality of life within one of the nation's most sophisticated and beautiful living areas. With a population of almost 24,000 residents, El Cerrito has the advantage of being centrally located in a major metropolitan area. El Cerrito is an established community with a strong self-identity and a commitment to enhancing the quality of life for its citizens.
The Recreation Department manages a full range of recreational and special activities for youth, adults and seniors. The department also schedules activities and rentals of buildings, picnic areas, sports fields and tennis courts.
Under general supervision of the Recreation Supervisor, this position assists in and conducts a variety of youth recreation activities. These positions are part-time and assigned up to 20-25 hours per week. Hours include regularly scheduled shifts.
Enthusiastic and energetic Child Care Teachers and Aides provide direct supervision of children in kindergarten through 6th grade in an Afterschool Child Care Program. Staff prepare and implement activities including arts and crafts, science and STEM, outdoor group games and more. Snack preparation is involved. Staff ensure that all parents are greeted warmly and that all children are signed out according to policy. Our program operates year-round, and most of our school-year child care staff work in our summer camp program over the summer. We hire seasonal Camp Counselors for summer to work in K - 8 programs, as well as an LIT program for grades 8-10.
Job Responsibilities and Qualifications:
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (DUTIES)
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Typical job duties are:
- Active supervision of children in childcare;
- Support the implementation of education activities and recreational activities that promote physical, mental, and social development.
- Foster a safe and stimulating environment for children;
- Interact with recreation staff, youth participants, and caregivers;
- Cordially assisting the public who have questions and inquiries;
- Presenting and maintaining a professional appearance and demeanor, including wearing appropriate attire for the position and exhibiting respect and enthusiasm as duties and responsibilities are carried out.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of a variety of youth development;
- Knowledge of youth activities;
- Knowledge and command of all of the latest safety standards and information related to supervision of children;
- Ability to conduct and participate in recreation activities;
- Ability to assist with related clerical duties;
- Ability to demonstrate good customer service and staff relations;
- Ability maintain physical and mental capacities appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities;
- Professional work habits including reliability, dependability, creativity and demonstration of enthusiasm; and
- Ability to work varying shifts, including evenings, weekdays and weekends
Experience and Education:
- Knowledge, interest, and experience in working with children.
- Units in Early Childhood Education or Child Development preferred. Transcripts required.
- CPR/First Aid Certified.
How To Apply
Application Deadline: 6/30/2018
To apply, all applicants must submit an application through the Government Jobs portal at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/elcerrito