County: Solano County
Agency: City of Fairfield
The current vacancy is for the Police Activities League (PAL) Center of the Police Department. This program extends services to teens in the community and offers a place to grow, learn and build the skills they need today and in the future. The PAL Center offers a safe environment and is home to a host of enriching programs designed to support its members. Part of the programming includes homework and academic enrichment with career planning, fitness, sports and recreation, leadership and character education, and health/ wellness and life skills components.
To coordinate activities in an assigned program or service area, including but not limited to: recreation activities, health and fitness programs, prevention programs, classes, special events, marketing functions, and city-wide volunteer programs. Work with the general public, which may include senior citizens, adults, teens, youth, and/or preschool age children. The ideal candidate would be energetic and passionate about working with youth of the community and helping them achieve by coaching and providing them opportunities right now.
Examples of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Active supervision of children in childcare;
- Support the implementation of education activities and recreational activities that promote physical, mental, and social development.
- Foster a safe and stimulating environment for children;
- Interact with recreation staff, youth participants, and caregivers;
- Cordially assisting the public who have questions and inquiries;
- Presenting and maintaining a professional appearance and demeanor, including wearing appropriate attire for the position and exhibiting respect and enthusiasm as duties and responsibilities are carried out.
Procedures and methods used in area of specialization.
Program content for the area of specialization.
Equipment used in the area of specialization.
Modern office and bookkeeping procedures and methods, record keeping, use of office equipment, including computers.
Regulations governing program activities and funding sources.
Assist in program planning and development.
Prepare and distribute marketing and publicity material.
Prepare program budget and work within budget guidelines.
Communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
Oversee and motivate participants, volunteers and staff.
Work cooperatively with other departments, outside agencies, and the general public.
Work independently and make sound decisions.
Plan and develop a variety of activities including: sports, recreation, education, job skill development, life skills.
Maintain a flexible work schedule dependent upon program requirements.
Possess and maintain a positive "can do" attitude.
Experience and Education:
- A minimum of two (2) years' experience working with the demographic served by the program area where the vacancy is being filled is required. Experience in coordination and implementing a variety of activities and programs in the area of specialization is highly desirable.
- Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade is required. An Associate's degree or Bachelor's degree is desirable.
Required Licenses and/or Certificates:
- Possession of and the ability to maintain a valid California Driver's License at the time of appointment is required.
- First Aid and CPR certification may be required based on the program area where the vacancy is being filled.
How To Apply
Based on the information provided in the application documents, the best-qualified applicants will be invited for further examination. All applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. Depending upon the number of applications received, the examination may consist of an application screening, written and/or practical exam, oral interview, or any combination. This position requires a thorough background investigation, polygraph and response to a medical questionnaire prior to appointment. A pre-employment medical exam may also be required.
To apply, all applicants must submit an application through the Government Jobs portal at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/fairfield/jobs/2006242/program-specialist?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs