County: San Francisco
Agency: College Track
College Track is a national college completion program that empowers students from underserved communities to graduate from college. From 9th grade through college graduation, our 10-year program removes the barriers that prevent students from earning their college degree by providing them with comprehensive academic support, leadership training, financial and college advising, and scholarships. We teach them the skills necessary to succeed in college and beyond. In four years, a College Track student receives support equivalent to one extra year of high school. College Track started in 1997 with a cohort of 27 students in East Palo Alto. Today, we serve over 1,600 high school and college students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, New Orleans, Sacramento, Colorado, and Los Angeles. This year, we doubled the number of students served to over 3,000. In 10 years, we will serve over 10,000 students and increase our number of college graduates tenfold. Over our history, 92% of our high school seniors have been accepted to four-year colleges and our college graduation rate is 2.5 times the national average for low-income students. To learn more, please visit www.collegetrack.org.
Application Deadline: 5/18/18
Advisory teacher has an informal class of about 15-20, 11th grade high school students (per section) that meets weekly for 1 hour at College Track San Francisco. An Advisory Curriculum is taught by the Advisory Teacher, and uses a variety of interactive teaching styles to cover themes of making good choices, resilience, the college system, financial awareness & paying for college, and career exploration.
The Advisory Teacher will teach the same student cohort all year and will receive an Advisory Curriculum with clear objectives and complete lesson plans for each session. Advisory Teachers are welcomed to modify and personalize curriculum for their class with prior approval from the College Completion Manager and/or College Completion Director.
This position’s responsibilities include:
• Review and modify Advisory curriculum in advance of each session each week with College Completion Manager.
• Track student workshop attendance and follow up with students who miss workshops.
• Report student concerns to College Completion Manager, College Completion Director, and/or Site Director.
• Regularly check email to stay on top of program updates, requirements and updates.
• Work with site staff to ensure effective programming from the hours of 4 to 7pm.
• Ensuring your classes are covered in your absence (or that students are notified ahead of time via email, text, and/or call-em-all system).
• Ensure that all necessary technology required for each session are ready prior to class and are returned properly.
• Other duties as necessary.
First and foremost, the Advisory Teacher must embrace College Track’s vision and mission for serving CT communities until college readiness and college graduation are the norms.
Additionally, candidates must possess the following qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree (completed or in progress).
• Experience working with middle/high school students; classroom management experience.
• Desire to mentor youth.
• TB test administered less than 1 year ago & fingerprinting (must be completed prior to start date).
MUST BE ABLE TO WORK THESE CLASS TIMES:
• MONDAYS 3pm – 7:30pm
• TUESDAYS 3pm – 7:30pm
• WEDNESDAYS 3pm – 7:30pm
• THURSDAY 3pm- 7:30pm
How To Apply
To apply: Send your cover letter and resume to College Completion Manager Mr. Ariel Parada at email@example.com.