Afterschool Workforce Development: For Employers
Why Workforce Development?
Staffing Challenge | Employers | Community Colleges | WIBs
Bay Area Teacher Pathway Programs | PATHWAYS & Afterschool Corps | LA Scholars | Las Guias | CalWIN
For Afterschool Employers
Think of your first job. Remember all you learned about what it means to work, those tangible and intangible skills you developed at a young age. Think of how that job provided a stepping stone, in some small way, to where you are today.
And now imagine giving that first job to someone else...
CalSAC is working to help out-of-school time programs and employers address their need for trained, part-time staff who'll stay on the job for more than a few months or a year. CalSAC is collaborating on several workforce development initiatives that:
- Recruit job seekers interested in part-time work
- Provide pre-employment training in job readiness skills and youth development strategies and best practices
- Facilitate the hiring process between the job seekers and local afterschool employers
- Provide job coaching to the new youth workers during their first few months on the job
How to Get Involved
What's required of you as an afterschool employer to participate in these workforce development initiatives?
It's easy! We bring qualified, pre-screened applicants to you, and you hire whomever you would like to have on board. We'll continue to work with you to provide great training opportunities to your new hires and the rest of your staff through our CalSAC Trainer Network. Depending on the phase of the initiative, there may also be room for employer feedback in the training and coaching. All initiatives, however, are designed with direct feedback from local employers.
With CalSAC's workforce development initiatives, you get:
- better trained new workers whose community college schedules match your needs
- a full pool of applicants from which to choose new hire
- ongoing coaching and professional development for these hires
- training for all your staff -- and your own continued freedom in hiring and firing
We don't require you to accept anyone you're not comfortable with, and you're not obligated to keep an employee who's not working out. It's that simple. For more information, please contact Zak Parpia at email@example.com or (510) 444-4622 x103.
NEW - The San Francisco Youth Worker to Teacher Pathway
The San Francisco Youth Worker to Teacher Pathway’s first cohort of students have begun classes at City College of San Francisco and are eager to begin working with youth in local afterschool programs. CalSAC is working closely with the two Student Support Specialists to identify out-of-school time program partners that are interested in the following program support:
Pathways Internship Opportunities – Bring on a Pathways student intern for the spring semester!
- The Pathways students are currently enrolled in a CCSF Fieldwork course for credit towards their Youth Worker Certificate, a built-in component to the Pathway program. This is an opportunity for students to gain practical experience working with youth while also learning how an afterschool program operates.
- Students are required to complete 90 hours between February and May and we’re currently looking for afterschool programs that can provide students with hands-on work with youth and strong supervision as they develop their skills.
Summer STEM Opportunities – Bring on a Pathways student to lead or support your STEM summer programming!
- If you are running summer programs and would be interested in bringing on Pathways students to lead STEM focused activities please let us know. Pathways students can support existing STEM programming or can lead a new STEM component.
If you’re interested in either of the above opportunities please email Zak Parpia at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (510) 444-4622 x103.